Yields: 4 servings
1 tblsp Oil
1 cup red lentils
1/8 cup brown rice
1/2 medium onion
Chili pepper to taste
2 /12 cup water
3 cloves garlic
1 tsp Coriander
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tblsp Cumin
1/4 Chili powder (Ideally Kashmiri)
1 tsp Salt
Lemon juice to taste
1. Heat the oil over medium heat.
2. Add onion, chili pepper and garlic. Let cook for a minute or until the onions begin to sweat.
3. Add spices and let cook for 30 seconds.
4. Add rice, lentils, and water; bring to a roiling boil.
5. Reduce heat to a simmer and let the lentils cook for 30-45 minutes or until done
6. Add salt and blend
Optional (highly recommended): To serve drizzle a bit of oil on top, lemon juice and cilantro